• Saving Tomato Seeds


It's the end of Tomato season.  The vines have been pulled and hung on the clothes line to ripen the many remaining green tomatoes - and that's it, it's all over for another few months until seed raising commences in Spring.  

I didn't have the pleasure of tasting any of these juicy, delicious looking specimens this year as I've eliminated nightshades from my diet (I know. Worst. Desperately missing the humble spud!), but for me the ritual of wandering down early in the morning, just me and my basket for the daily harvest, and the joy of bundling them up to give away made growing them so worthwhile. 

Whether back on nightshades next season or not I will definitely be planting the seeds I've saved from this year to keep the tomato gifts flowing.  A garden is a great opportunity to feed yourself, but also gift the people around you.  

The gift of nutritious, organic, homegrown fruit and veg is really something special, and allows you the freedom to give spontaneous gifts all year round.  

* Ceramic bowl pictured above by Mad Mud Ceramics *

Saving Tomato Seeds

I'm a gardening beginner, so I love finding little tasks that are quick, easy and highly successful.  Saving tomato seeds is one of those fool proof tasks.

Equipment: 

Knife
Paper Towel
Paper Envelope
 
Step 1.  Select a nice ripe tomato.  Not just any tomato, a perfect one.  The most red, robust, blemish free one you can find.  Now, I don't know if this is completely necessary but it makes sense to try and keep the genes pool strong right? Yes!

Step 2. Once said 'perfect tomato specimen' has been chosen, slice it in half and squeeze the seed pulp onto a paper towel. 

Step 3. Transfer the tomato seeds onto another piece of dry paper towel leaving as much of the pulp behind, and ensuring they all have a nice amount of room to breathe and ultimately dry out.

Step 4.  Once the seeds are completely dry fold the paper towel into an envelope - label the envelope and make a note on your calender as a reminder for seed raising month.