• And Then There Were ... Eleven!


Our stray chicken friend Pippa who has come and gone for the last 15 months has been acting a little psycho lately.  She's been biting, destroying, demanding and doing some extremely disproportionately sized poos! 

We knew something was up, and as her rooster friend Harry had been visiting regularly D and I had joked about the possibility of Pippa having some eggs hidden somewhere.  Well, turns out she did!  And when I arrived home from doing the groceries yesterday morning she emerged from under the house to greet me, and in the overgrown grass behind her I could hear a squeaky kind of commotion - a '10 chicky babes' kind of commotion as it turns out.  

I was instantly overcome with cuteness, and snapped a picture to text to D who was at work to share Pippa's news.

Chickens have been on our 'one day' list since we moved here, and by that I mean 2 or 3 of them, but knowing that these little black fluff balls hatched here, it only seems right that they should stay.

There are 9 black chicks and one that is mostly white.  I have had the name Snow picked out for the white Alpaca that is somewhere in our future, but I couldn't help give our little odd-one-out this name as it just suits him/her so perfectly!  The rest will remain unnamed till we can tell them apart, and if that day never comes they will be known by the group name 'Royals'.
Message to D
11/09/2014 11:04am "10 Baby Pippas"