• Sow. Glad.

Daylight is fading on what has been one of those perfect Autumn days.  I've picked the last bunch of vibrant gladiolus bulbs that spring up every Autumn in our rose garden, and I'm bringing them inside to add some life to the dining table.  

I didn't sow these bulbs which somehow makes me all the more grateful each time they bloom, and though I never met the lady who owned our house before us, I think of her each time I enjoy them.

A garden is a legacy, and time takes on a whole new meaning when you start to plan what you will sow.  All of a sudden you are faced with intimidating intervals of time, five, ten, even twenty years.  

There is a saying, 'you plant vegetables for yourself, fruit trees for your children and nut trees for your grandchildren', and the temptation when you hear that is to opt for the more ready harvest.  But time will pass anyway, and the seasons roll by anyway, and even what takes years to produce a crop, will produce.  So plant-plant-plant, and enjoy the waiting and watching, and enjoy the knowledge that in years to come not only will you be so glad you did, others will be too.