• Show Day


We caught the train to the Newcastle Regional Show on Saturday.  It had been over twenty years since I last visited the show, but having won tickets we decided we'd go.  This time around it wasn't about rides, fairy floss or show bags, but simply an afternoon wander in the crazy-carni atmosphere.

The last time I visited the show I was eight, and it is a bit of an enchanted memory for me.  Standing on a crowded platform to catch the train to Broadmeadow station, arriving on dusk to the blinking lights and the whirling music of the rides and games.  My most distinct memory of all is standing at the show bag stand, agonizing over which one to choose.  It went without saying that we could only pick one, my sister and I, and therefore it was a decision my eight-year-old brain took very seriously.

This time around the show bag stand didn't get a look in, our time spent pouring over winning cakes, sourdoughs, preserves and needle crafts in the Country Women's Association tent (the veggie patch cake being our absolute favourite!), watching the camp draft, navigating our way through masses of people who were making their way to and from rides, and hunting out quality coffee (which we found in the back of a Kombi van of course!).